Cala Sìth Guest House
39 Frederick Crescent
Isle of Islay
www.theislayfestival.co.uk has information on the Islay Malt and Music Festival
Islay also has it's own brewery.
Transport on Islay
- Fiona's Taxis +44 (0) 1496 302622 Mobile 0780 8303200
- Lamont's Taxis +44 (0) 1496 810449 Mobile 07899 756159
- Stuart Doyle +44 (0)1496 850170 Mobile 07771 921157
Port Ellen Playing Fields Association, Ellen Brown, Port Ellen - tel: 07831 246911
Jim Lutomski has a number of better-quality bikes for hire, and a good range of bikes for sale. Ring 07760 196 592 for details.
Jim Lutomski, Clearwater Marine, Port Ellen Industrial Estate (behind the White Hart Hotel) - 07760 196 592
Activities on Islay
The Museum of Island Life has a fascinating collection of exhibits from the Mesolithic era to 20th century as well as a range of photographs depicting life on Islay. If you want to research your family history on Islay, the Family History Society can offer you help. We had some help from www.freewebs.com/wheechmcgeenes/ and we thoroughly recommend John's great genealogy service.
A few hours spent pony trekking is a wonderful way to see the island. We recommend Ballivicar for a delightful trek along the beach.
Finlaggan is open all through the week during the summer. The seat of the Lord of the Isles, the landscape is both beautiful and haunting.
Black Bottle Isle of Islay Pipe Band - our very favourite pipe band. Please support the band by buying their CD on-line, at Itunes or at several locations on the island.
Information on Islay
- www.ileach.co.uk Our local independent newspaper.
- www.jurainfo.com Our next door neighbours.
- www.blog.islayinfo.com A fantastic site with loads of news and information on what's on in Islay.
- www.islaydirectory.com An on-line directory of businesses.
We love . . .
- www.angleann.co.uk Delicious homemade tablet. Make friends with our staff and buy them some.
- Spirited Soaps Ailsa makes fantastic range of whisky soaps and other yummy products. Her shop in Bowmore is definitely worth a visit.
- Art and bicycle repairs! We love Jim's work of beautiful Islay scenes. His work is available at many places on the island, from his studio in Port Ellen or at the weekly local craft fair.
- Stop Bite An chemical free midge spray. We don't go anywhere without it.
- Made on Islay Unique gifts to take home with you.
For a handy guide to Islay, download Armin Grewe's “Little Islay Guide”.